Let’s be honest, practicing minimalism can be challenging. In theory, simplicity should be — well, simple. Get rid of junk you already have, and don’t buy junk you don’t need. Easy enough, right?
Yet, in a world where we are saturated with stuff, and our desires can be met by simply swiping a finger on a screen, it can be quite a process to learn to be mindful of all the stuff (physically and mentally) we allow into our lives. And really, every one of us needs reminding once in a while that the best things in life are not actually things.
So, if you’re feeling overwhelmed with “stuff” and are inspired to simplify your life, here are 10 of my favorite quotes to awaken your inner minimalist. Enjoy!
1. “Simplicity is the ultimate sophistication.” Leonardo da Vinci
2. “The first step in crafting the life you want is to get rid of everything you don’t.” Joshua Becker
3. “We work to become, not to acquire.” Elbert Hubbard
4. “The simplest things are often the truest.” Richard Bach
5. “The secret of happiness, you see, is not found in seeking more, but in developing the capacity to enjoy less.” Socrates
6. “Edit your life frequently and ruthlessly. It’s your masterpiece after all.” William Morris
7. “Happiness cannot be traveled to, owned, earned, worn, or consumed. Happiness is the spiritual experience of living every minute with love, grace, and gratitude.” Denis Waitley
8. “There are two ways to be rich: One is by acquiring much, and the other is by desiring little.” Jackie French Koller
9. “Once we give up being attached to physical possessions, we find the time and freedom to follow bigger dreams.” Joshua Becker
10. “Minimalism is the pursuit of the essence of things, not the appearance.” Claudio Silvestrin